Applications for A Day in the Orchestra are now closed.
Queensland Symphony Orchestra is delighted to announce A Day in the Orchestra, a weekend workshop and performance program for community instrumentalists.
Applications are now open for this year’s program, which will be directed by Melbourne-based conductor and orchestral musician Fabian Russell.
PARTICIPANTS IN A DAY IN THE ORCHESTRA WILL:
- Rehearse side-by-side with Queensland Symphony Orchestra musicians and dynamic conductor Fabian Russell;
- Perform exciting and challenging repertoire with Queensland Symphony Orchestra in our home studio;
- Participate in tutorials on the music with Queensland Symphony Orchestra musicians;
- Meet and perform with other community musicians from across Queensland.
Dvořák Carnival Overture
Grainger Colonial Song
Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (arr. Maurice Ravel)
Friday 17 May
6.30pm to 9pm: Rehearsal
Saturday 18 May
9.30am to 1pm: Rotating sectionals led by Queensland Symphony Orchestra musicians*
2pm to 4.30pm: Rehearsal
6pm to 7pm: Final rehearsal
7.30pm: A Day in the Orchestra concert
* Percussion sectional will be held on Friday 17 May 4.30pm to 6.00pm
This opportunity is for adult (18 years and older), community musicians who are current residents of Queensland and play an orchestral instrument. It is most suited to participants who play regularly in a symphonic band or orchestra.
Queensland Symphony Orchestra will select enough musicians to establish a full orchestra appropriate for the programmed repertoire. If any section is oversubscribed then participants will be selected in a draw. Successful applicants will need to provide their own instruments and equipment, except for percussion. In addition to orchestral instruments, applications are also open to keyboard players (piano and celeste). A participant fee of $160 is payable on your acceptance into the event.
If you would like to observe rehearsals and tutorials without playing please contact us. Professional Development certificates will be provided for teachers.
- Wednesday 27 February: Application forms for participants open
- Sunday 14 April: Applications close
- Wednesday 17 April: Participants notified of acceptance and electronic copies of orchestral parts distributed
- Wednesday 17 April: Participant tickets and audience tickets on sale
- Friday 17 and Saturday 18 May: Date of event