Applications for A Day in the Orchestra have now closed.
A Day in the Orchestra is a weekend workshop and performance program for community instrumentalists from across Queensland. Participants will rehearse and perform with the QSO musicians under the direction of an internationally renowned conductor.
Participants in A Day in the Orchestra will:
- Engage in a weekend experience of musical preparation and performance;
- Work with internationally renowned conductor Brett Kelly;
- Play in an orchestra of 85 musicians including players from QSO;
- Meet other community musicians from across Queensland; and
- Perform classical repertoire in one of Brisbane’s finest venues.
Observers to A Day in the Orchestra will:
- Observe Brett Kelly prepare a full symphony orchestra of QSO players and community musicians for performance;
- Gain access to opportunities to observe both full orchestra rehearsals and sectionals led by QSO players, as well as a backstage glimpse to QSO; and
- Professional development certificates will be available on request.
This opportunity is for adult (18 years and older) community musicians who are current residents of Queensland and play an orchestral instrument. It is most suited to participants who play regularly in a symphonic band or orchestra.
QSO will select enough musicians to establish a full orchestra appropriate for the programmed repertoire. If any section is oversubscribed then participants will be selected in a draw. Successful applicants will need to provide their own instruments and equipment.
PARTICIPATION FEE - $150
- Payment of the participation fee is due by Friday 23 September 2016
- Payment is to be made through the QSO Box Office:
- IN PERSON: QSO Box Office, corner Grey and Russell Street, South Bank. Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- BY PHONE: (07) 3833 5044. Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- Payment cannot be made online
Friday 7 October:
6pm - Arrival & Registration
6.30-9pm - Rehearsal
Saturday 8 October:
9.30am-1pm - Rotating sectionals led by QSO players*
2-4.30pm - Rehearsal
6-7pm - Final rehearsal
7.30 - DITO concert
(*Percussion sectional will take place at 4.30pm on Friday 7 October)
Monday 11 July: Applications open
Monday 5 September: Applications close
Friday 9 September: Participants notified of acceptance and electronic copies of music distributed
Contact QSO's Community Engagement Manager, Judy Wood.
email@example.com or (07) 3833 5055